04.03 Episode 69
Airdate: July 14, 2000
Among the ruins of the distant homeworld of the Ataniks, the Tok'ra have discovered unusual armbands which are purported to give the wearer amazing powers. However, the presence of a symbiote renders the armbands ineffective and useless to the Tok'ra. Anise, an expert in ancient cultures, and a new Tok'ra representative to Earth, approaches the SGC, seeking human test subjects. The mysterious devices could be a powerful new weapon in the war against the Goa'uld, and O'Neill, Carter, and Daniel volunteer to test them.
Once fitted with the alien armbands, O'Neill, Carter, and Daniel begin experiencing dramatic changes. They are endowed with incredible speed and strength, and revel in their newfound abilities despite Dr. Fraiser's concerns. The devices rely on a virus which increases metabolism and presents a serious health risk, but even more unsettling, they cannot be removed. They also affect judgment, and the three find themselves defying orders and leaving the base, even becoming involved in an altercation in town, despite being confined to quarters.
As Dr. Fraiser searches for a solution, O'Neill, Carter, and Daniel are anxious to put their new abilities to the test. When Anise brings word that Apophis is building a new class of battleship that could ensure his dominance over the Goa'uld, they see their opportunity. Again they defy orders and travel through the stargate to sabotage the new ship. During the mission, however, the devices fail, and in their weakened state, SG-1 barely escapes with Teal'c's help as the enemy ship is destroyed.
Written by: David Rich
Directed by: Martin Wood
Guest Starring: Vanessa Angel as Anise/Freya, Teryl Rothery as Dr. Fraiser, Dan Shea as Sergeant Siler, Kristina Copeland as Waitress, Frank Topol as Big Guy, Bill Nikolai as Technician #1, Laara Sadiq as Technician #2, Daniel Melles as SF #1, Tracy Westerholm as SF #2, Fraser Attcheson as Jaffa Commander, Shawn Reis as Jaffa
O'Malley's Bar & Grill,
- Anise is a Tok'ra archaeologist whose area of expertise is ancient cultures. The name "Anise" means "noble strength." Her host is named Freya.
- The armbands were discovered among the ruins on a remote planet. The inscribed language belongs to a race called Ataniks, whose existence and demise predates the Goa'uld. The armbands were thought to be a myth, but both the Tok'ra and Goa'uld have been searching for them. The armbands are rejected by Tok'ra physiology, probably due to the symbiote.
- The Atanik armbands give the wearer incredible speed and strength, and greatly increase all natural abilities.
- The armband releases a virus into the system to access the human physiology. The virus causes increased hormone levels, producing a narcotic-like effect, affecting judgement. The virus also increases metabolism to match the energy the body now requires, resulting in an increased appetite, and causes a fever which can lead to multiple organ failure. When the body develops antibodies to the virus, the immunity makes the armband useless, and it comes off on its own.
- The Atanik inscription on the armbands says, "With great power comes great responsibility, and the ability to affect great consequences."
- Apophis is building a new class of battleship that could assure his dominence over the Goa'uld and the galaxy. SG-1 destroyed the ship by sabotaging the cooling system. The planet designation PX9-757 is later identified in Divide and Conquer.
- Dinner was at O'Malley's Bar and Grill.
- Yep, that looks like trouble to me. [Daniel]
- Your strength is five times that of a normal human. [Anise]
So, no increase then, huh? [O'Neill]
- We've tried everything short of surgically removing their arms. [Fraiser]
We'll hold that option in reserve. [Hammond]
- Just say the word. [O'Neill]
Thank you. [Hammond]
Seriously, say it. Say the word. [O'Neill]
We can be ready in three seconds. [O'Neill]
Two! Hey, we're ready! [O'Neill]
Jack, please! Just get the hell out of my office! [Hammond]
- Earth... steaks... there's a difference? [O'Neill]
- I thought the devices were supposed to enhance them physically, not make them stupid. [Hammond]
- We'll need snacks. [O'Neill]
- We should have brought more snacks. [O'Neill]
- So, the fact that we're staying is based on a completely informed decision. [Daniel]
- Just remember, I retired! You wanted me back! [O'Neill]
- I have no need to apologize. [Teal'c]
- O'Neill, Carter, Daniel: increased powers and viral reaction from the armbands
- Teal'c: knocked out by a boxing punch from O'Neill
- Siler: broken arm and concussion from being knocked over the railing
- Popular Culture References:
- I don't feel like leaping any tall buildings.