04.20 Episode 86
Airdate: February 9, 2001
The MALP sent to P9C-372 is returning peculiar transmissions when suddenly a bolt of energy is sent back through the gate, shorting out the controls and the base computers. When the systems are online again, it is discovered that the unexpected energy was an alien probe which has infiltrated the computers and is accessing sensitive data. It is successfully eliminated from the mainframe, only to transfer itself to the MALP room where it begins building itself an electrical "nest" in which to expand and contain the immense amount of data it is accumulating.
O'Neill wants to destroy the nest, but Carter and Daniel believe that the probe exhibits the intelligence of a living entity, and they want to try to communicate with it. However, as Carter attempts communication, she is overcome by the probe's energy, and the entity takes over her body instead. Attempts to negotiate with the entity for the release of Carter's body fail. The entity explains that Earth's MALP had been lethal to its world, and now it has come to the SGC in order to destroy Earth in retaliation.
With the SGC and all of Earth facing annihilation, O'Neill must make the traumatic decision to kill Carter in order to stop the entity. However, as the team mourns Carter's death and prepares to eliminate the alien nest in the MALP room, an enigmatic message appears on the computer monitors: "I am here." Carter's consciousness lives on in the entity's nest, transferred there by the entity before its destruction. There is still a chance that an untried procedure will successfully return Carter to her own body.
Written by: Peter DeLuise
Directed by: Allan Lee
Guest Starring: Gary Jones as Sergeant Davis, Teryl Rothery as Dr. Fraiser, Dan Shea as Sergeant Siler
- The coordinates for the planet were procured from the repository of the Ancients, however MALP transmissions revealed an entirely alien culture resembling no known culture of the Ancients or of Earth.
- The Entity returned to Earth through an outgoing wormhole as wave energy riding on the MALP telemetry. It accessed the main computers and sustained itself through power from secondary systems, growing exponentially to consume additional memory. The EM spike overloaded the computers and all control systems were inoperative. SGC was under quarantine at DEFCON 2.
- Radio energy emitted from the MALP probe was a contagion to the Entity's planet. It returned to Earth in retaliation, to preserve its own world by destroying Earth.
- The Entity responded to questions about its identity with, "I am within."
- The MALP room is on Service Level S-24. The infirmary is on level 21.
- Information accessed from the computer personnel files:
- John O'Neill | Team Designation: SG-1 | Rank: Colonel | Service Number: 69-4-141
- Samantha Carter | Team Designation: SG-1 | Rank: Major | Service Number: 36-6-349
- Daniel Jackson | Team Designation: SG-1 | Rank: N/A | Service Number: N/A
- Coordinates for P9C-372: 25-8-18-29-4-22
- MALPs can't fly. [O'Neill]
Apparently they can. [Daniel]
Shouldn't there be a memo on this stuff? [O'Neill]
- Do I look fat? [O'Neill]
- Forget to change the lightbulb, Siler? [O'Neill]
It's not my job, Sir. Ahem... Yes Sir, lightbulb. Very amusing. [Siler]
- For the record, Sir, I want to blow it to hell. These folks want to chat with it. [O'Neill]
- We won't send any more probes through. [Daniel]
Yes, we will. [O'Neill]
We'll send dozens of them... one after another. I don't care what it does. [O'Neill]
Leave her. Now. [O'Neill]
You won't. [Entity]
You've read my file. Think again. [O'Neill]
- Peter DeLuise cameo: computer personnel records as
- Lee Van Cleef | Team Designation: SG-1 | Rank: Master | Service Number: 47-8-246
- Carter: electrical burn to hand, overtaken by alien entity, consciousness removed to a computer, shot with a zat gun twice, no brain activity