09.09 Episode 183
Airdate: September 16, 2005
A gravitational anomaly near P3X-584 may be an Ori supergate, but when SG-1 attempts to visit the planet, a security code reroutes them to an alternate address. By overriding the code, SG-1 reaches the planet and discovers the secret worthy of such precautions, an underground laboratory containing a DNA resequencer and a man preserved in stasis. When the man is brought back to Earth and revived, he claims his name is Khalek and explains that he is a prisoner and a victim of genetic experiments. Lab records on the planet prove otherwise, however. The lab belonged to Anubis, and Khalek is his creation, a genetic hybrid - the son of Anubis.
As a human/Goa'uld hybrid, Khalek poses a formidable threat, especially when tests reveal that he is evolving before their eyes. Despite restraints and high security precautions, he has already demonstrated powerful telekinetic and healing abilities, and has nearly succeeded in escaping. If he evolves to the level of ascension, he will be unstoppable. SG-1 considers returning the prisoner to stasis, despite Daniel's insistence that he is too dangerous to be kept alive, but when IOC representative Woolsey arrives at the SGC, he orders that Khalek must be kept alive and studied as a key to defeating the highly evolved Priors.
Against Woolsey's demands, Landry orders that Khalek be returned to stasis on P3X-584. When Carter makes the horrifying discovery that Khalek's goal is to use the DNA resequencer to achieve ascension, Landry reverses his order, but Khalek uses his telekinetic abilities to break free and escape through the stargate. Immediately, however, he is rerouted by the security system, and is returned through Earth's gate. Focusing his mind to deflect the bullets from Mitchell's gun, Khalek is vulnerable to Daniel's weapon behind him, and he collapses, bleeding, as both continue firing until the threat from Anubis's son has at last been eliminated.
Written by: Alan McCullough
Directed by: Peter DeLuise
Guest Starring: Neil Jackson as Khalek, Robert Picardo as Richard Woolsey, Gary Jones as Sergeant Harriman, Lexa Doig as Dr. Lam, Ivan Cermak as Altman
Reference: Major Altman, Ancient Stasis Chamber, Ascension, Brain Scan Device, DNA Resequencer, Force Field, International Oversight Advisory, Khalek, Carolyn Lam, P3X-584, Stasis, Richard Woolsey
DESTINATIONS & INHABITANTS
NOTES OF INTEREST
- Anubis replicated his pre-ascension DNA using the genetic manipulation device, and then combined it with human DNA to create a genetic hybrid capable of evolving to the point of ascension.
- A normal human brain would show roughly 5-10% coverage of areas indicating maximized synaptic activity. Research theorizes that 80 or 90% activity is required for conscious, willful ascension.
- Woolsey has taken on the role of the watchdog liaison for the International Committee.
- Maybe it wasn't our fault. [Carter]
I thought it was always our fault. [Daniel]
- Interstellar call forwarding. That's pretty cool. [Mitchell]
- New guy!! [Daniel]
- Belay the order. Resecure the prisoner. Now, explain why I just did that. [Landry]
FOR THE RECORD
- Mitchell: thrown by Khalek's telekinetic abilities, temporarily unconscious, concussion
- Carter: shot once by zat gun
- Dr. Lam: shot once by zat gun