03.03 Episode 47 (#6529)
Airdate: July 9, 1999
As Captain Carter is being promoted to Major, Colonel O'Neill is whisked away to Thor's ship, where the Asgard leader warns him of a Goa'uld plan to attack Earth. Thor offers to help negotiate a peace treaty, and three System Lords attend the conference, Cronus, Yu, and Nirrti. During the negotiations, however, Teal'c and Cronus are found badly beaten. Yu and Nirrti blame Teal'c and vow retribution until SG-1 uncovers evidence that Nirrti herself was behind the scheme to seize power. Enraged by Nirrti's deception, Cronus and Yu turn against her, and Earth's fate is spared by the fragile treaty.
Written by: Robert C. Cooper
Directed by: Martin Wood
Guest Starring: Michael David Simms as Secretary of Defense Arthur Simms, Ron Halder as Cronus, Jacqueline Samuda as Nirrti, Vince Crestejo as Yu, Teryl Rothery as Dr. Fraiser, T.M. Sandulak as Sergeant Ziplinski, Laara Sadiq as Technician
Reference: Alternate Dimension, Asgard, Asgard Mothership, Asgard Stones, Asgard Transport Beam, Biliskner, Samantha Carter, Cronus, Harakash, Healing Device, Invisibility, Junior, Nirrti, Protected Planets Treaty, Security Lockdown, Arthur Simms, System Lords, Technicians, TER, Thor, Yu
DESTINATIONS & INHABITANTS
NOTES OF INTEREST
- Captain Carter is promoted to the rank of Major.
- Secretary of Defense Arthur Simms, visiting the SGC, acted as the President's representative.
- Asgard ships have been able to avoid detection by Earth satellites and telescopes.
- The System Lords view Earth as a threat, but fear the Asgard, who negotiate with the System Lords to include Earth in the Protected Planets Treaty.
- The Goa'uld are feudal and will unite to defend against outside threats such as the Asgard or Reetou, but will battle among themselves for control of individual domains.
- Cronus was among the earliest Greek Gods, one of 12 Titans who ascended to supreme domination. He was the god of fate, and became father to Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, and Hades. He is the most influential of the System Lords. He was the one to banish Sokar, and is a mortal enemy of Apophis.
- Yu, or Yu the Great, may have been one of China's earliest emperors and did not assume the role of god per se. According to legend he possessed great mythic powers and sprang into the world from a dragon's body. He founded the first recorded dynasty, governing under harsh rule, but bringing advances and positive influences.
- Nirrti was a destructive goddess of darkness in early Hindu reference. In an attempt to destroy Earth's stargate, she had wiped out the population of P8X-987 (Hanka, Cassandra's home planet in Singularity).
- Teal'c's father was First Prime of Cronus when Teal'c was a child. After defeat in battle, he was killed by Cronus, and Teal'c and his mother were exiled and fled to Chulak. It was probably Cronus who sent the Ashrak to kill Jolinar.
- The Asgard have an enemy in their home galaxy far worse than the Goa'uld, leaving limited resources to enforce the treaties with the Goa'uld.
- In return for Earth's inclusion in the Protected Planets Treaty, Addendum 10815, the Asgard will allow Goa'uld access to the Passage of Nilor. Treaty Law Section 326 recognizes that humans exist for the purpose of serving the Goa'uld as hosts and slaves and requires that no human planet be allowed to advance technologically to a point where they may become a threat to the Goa'uld.
- The System Lords additionally demanded the forfeiture of both Tauri stargates, but dropped the demand and supported the treaty in return for the capture of Nirrti.
- Nirrti has been experimenting with phase shifting to fight the Reetou and has the technology to become invisible.
- Carter has the ability to use the Goa'uld healing device.
- During formal negotiations with the Goa'uld, Jack O'Neill wears a clip-on tie.
- Thank Yu... Sorry. [O'Neill]
- Apparently we said hello, insulted each other, and broke for recess. [O'Neill]
- That boy can really grovel when he has to. [O'Neill]
- All right, just hang on a second before you go dooming everybody... [O'Neill]
- To borrow from a human euphemism, it is not a perfect galaxy. [Thor]
- Okay, she's dead. Right? Please tell me she's dead. [O'Neill]
- Certainly not those lyin', schemin', no good for nothin', slimy, overdressed, style-mongers -- I wasn't finished... [O'Neill]
- Hey, we didn't do this to you, and we saved your snaky little butt because we want the treaty to happen. [O'Neill]
- Boy, is she gonna get it. [Daniel]
My heart bleeds. [O'Neill]
FOR THE RECORD
- For crying out loud: 1
- Teal'c saved by his symbiote: healed from his injuries
- Teal'c: severely beaten, head trauma