04.01 Episode 67 (#6708)
Airdate: June 30, 2000
Thor's ship has been destroyed in an uncontrolled reentry through Earth's atmosphere, crashing into the Pacific Ocean, and taking the Replicators and the stargate with it. The beta stargate is established at the SGC, allowing SG-1 to return home, but they are met with disturbing news. At least one of the Replicators has survived, and has found its way to a Russian submarine, killing everyone on board, and replicating at an alarming rate. O'Neill suggests destroying the sub with nuclear weapons, but the Pentagon faces a delicate diplomatic situation with the Russians.
Hoping to avoid an international incident, O'Neill and Teal'c lead a small combat team to face the deadly bugs aboard the submarine and to eliminate the threat to Earth. Their conventional weapons have a limited effect against the enemy, especially against the original Replicator, which has mutated into an enormous and nearly indestructible "mother bug". Destruction of the submarine is the only solution, and O'Neill and Teal'c find themselves trapped aboard the sub as they plant the explosives and desperately try to find a means of escape before the sub is destroyed.
Meanwhile, the Asgard also face defeat by the Replicators in their home galaxy. Thor arrives at the SGC, hoping that the "less sophisticated" human approach may lead to the solution that eludes the Asgard. Carter's human knowledge provides a clever deception, using the Asgard's premiere ship, the "O'Neill", to lure the Replicators to their destruction. For now, both Earth and the Asgard are spared, but these are only small victories, and the Replicator threat remains.
Written by: Robert C. Cooper
Directed by: Martin Wood
Guest Starring: Colin Cunningham as Major Davis, Gary Jones as Technician, Teryl Rothery as Dr. Fraiser, Dan Shea as Sergeant Siler, Yurij Kis as Yuri, Dmitry Chepovetsky as Boris
DESTINATIONS & INHABITANTS
NOTES OF INTEREST
- It took more than a week to set up the beta gate at the SGC, due to technical difficulties. O'Neill, Carter, and Teal'c remained offworld on P4X-234 [sic] during that time until a connection could be established.
- Thor's home planet is one of many Asgard planets still threatened by the plague of Replicators across their galaxy. There is no indication if Thor's home planet is the same as Othala, visited by O'Neill in The Fifth Race.
- The "O'Neill", with a hull made of an alloy of naquadah, trinium and carbon, is the first ship designed solely to fight the Replicators. The most advanced technological creation of the Asgard, it is their last great hope.
- The surviving Replicator attacked a Russian foxtrot submarine, code name Blackbird, and killed all on board. The sub was spotted by the Nimitz and the Navy towed it into harbor, using a chemical spill as a cover story.
- Baker and Stevens joined O'Neill and Teal'c on the mission into the submarine. Stevens was killed by the Replicators.
- The Replicators are a kiron-based technology. A kiron is an energy particle unknown to Earth technology. The Replicators on Earth are a different color because they take on the characteristics of the metals and alloys that they consume. Being made of steel, they are more vulnerable. The original Replicator, incorporated into the "Mother" bug, was more resilient.
- Replicators consume energy from their ships to replicate. The subspace field necessary for hyperspace requires full generator power, thus cutting off the energy for replication, shields, and weapons during hyperspace travel.
- 'Scuse me... sorry... ow... [Daniel]
- We did kind of save the planet, Sir. [Carter]
Again. This should not get old, General. [O'Neill]
- I'd be happy to debrief you all after I've debriefed myself for a nice hot shower. [O'Neill]
Permission to shower granted. In fact, I insist on it, Colonel. [Hammond]
I wasn't going to say anything... [Daniel]
- Ya sure, you betcha. [O'Neill, and later Carter]
- Wait a minute. You're actually saying that you need someone dumber than you are? [Daniel]
You may have come to the right place. [O'Neill]
I could go. Sir. [Carter]
I don't know, Carter, you may not be dumb enough. [O'Neill]
- Would it be necessary for me to mention my insane aversion to bugs at this time? [O'Neill]
- I like the yellow ones. [Thor]
- Look, every other bug on that sub is probably going to be pretty upset when you kill "Mom." [Daniel]
- That ship is everything they're looking for. It'll look like an all-you-can-eat buffet. [Carter]
- It was your stupid idea, Major Carter. [Thor]
- They're okay!! The... the... the... the... th-th-they're okay!! [Daniel]
- We kicked their asses. [Carter]
They had asses? [O'Neill]
- Well, if you ever need any more dumb ideas, you know where to find me. [Carter]
FOR THE RECORD
- D'oh: 1
- Teal'c: shrapnel to the upper back
- Popular Culture References:
- The Simpsons
- The Simpsons