08.18 Episode 172
Airdate: March 11, 2005
The victorious Rebel Jaffa have claimed Dakara, with its formidable Ancient weapon, as the new homeworld of the Free Jaffa Nation. Elsewhere, Daniel enters a familiar diner where Oma Desala appears as a waitress and explains that he is on another plane of existence. He must make the choice between ascension and death, however he has no memory of why he chose to reject ascension once before. The only patron in the diner to acknowledge Daniel is Jim, a personable businessman who cautions him with the news that Anubis's grand design is to retake Dakara and use its weapon to destroy all life in the galaxy.
At the SGC, Carter and O'Neill face personal issues. O'Neill's romantic relationship with Kerry Johnson is gently ended when she realizes that his heart lies elsewhere. Meanwhile, Carter begins to have second thoughts as she prepares for her wedding to Pete Shanahan, and she learns that Selmak is dying, and her father, Jacob, will die with him. Jacob quietly slips away, and Carter cancels her wedding to Pete. In the diner, Daniel finally learns the terrible truth, that Oma Desala had been the one to help Anubis ascend, and her punishment is to watch powerlessly as he wreaks havoc across the galaxy.
As Anubis conquers Dakara and prepares to activate the weapon, Daniel makes another horrifying realization: Jim is Anubis. At last, Oma makes the decision to interfere. She confronts Jim as glowing energy, and they are both engulfed in radiance, locked in battle for all eternity. In that instant on Dakara, Anubis vanishes and his forces are easily overcome. At the SGC, the inexplicable victory becomes even more puzzling when Daniel suddenly reappears, naked once more, and in human form. With the galaxy saved, SG-1 retires to O'Neill's cabin for a relaxing afternoon of fishing, even though there are no fish in the pond.
Written by: Robert C. Cooper
Directed by: Andy Mikita
Guest Starring: Carmen Argenziano as Jacob Carter/Selmak, Tony Amendola as Bra'tac, David DeLuise as Pete Shanahan, Clare Carey as Kerry Johnson, Gary Jones as Technician, Cliff Simon as Ba'al, Isaac Hayes as Tolok, Mel Harris as Oma Desala, George Dzundza as "Jim", Rik Kiviaho as Anubis
Reference: Ancients, Anubis, Ascension, Autodestruct Sequence, Ba'al, Bra'tac, Jacob Carter, Samantha Carter, Dakara, Dakara Weapon, Delmak, Goa'uld, Daniel Jackson, Jaffa, Jim, Kerry Johnson, Oma Desala, Jack O'Neill, Others, Rebel Jaffa, Selmak, Pete Shanahan, Silver Creek, System Lords, Tartarus, Teal'c, Tok'ra, Tolok
DESTINATIONS & INHABITANTS
NOTES OF INTEREST
- The device on Dakara was originally used by the Ancients to recreate life in the Milky Way galaxy after the plague that wiped out the Ancients.
- The diner was drawn from Daniel's memories of the place his grandfather brought him after his parents' funeral, where he had waffles.
- The patrons in the diner are Others, but not necessarily all Ancients. They are always watching Oma.
- There are many planes of existence between human existence and ascension. Ascension requires one to be pure of spirit, and good to the very core to achieve enlightenment.
- The highest rule of the Others is that no lone ascended being shall help a "lower," or human, to ascend. If one deserves ascension, one should be able to do it on one's own. If there is an exception, for whatever reason, a majority vote by the Collective can help you reach ascension.
- Anubis must have found some old Ancient research on ascension. When he came to Kheb, he tricked Oma, and she helped him to ascend. When she realized her horrible mistake, she tried to undo it, but couldn't. Then the Others intervened, but sent him only halfway back. Anubis may not use any knowledge or power unless he otherwise would have gained it as a Goa'uld, and the Others use their collective powers to keep him from affecting anything on a grand cosmic level. It is Oma's punishment to be forced to watch the consequences of her actions, powerless to interfere.
- Oma had stopped Daniel from killing Anubis on Abydos because if she hadn't, the Others would have. Daniel was not able to follow the rules when he was ascended, and chose to be returned to human form.
- The Ascended Times - ("Tomorrow's News Today") - Headlines include:
- Jackson Still Undecided
- Anubis Plans to Retake Dakara
Exclusive Information on His Quest to Destroy All Life in the Milky Way Galaxy
He's Back Again and He's Badder Than Ever
- Secret Plan Revealed
Anubis' Dastardly Plot to Regain Ancient Weapon of Destruction
- A dying symbiote releases toxins that kill the host. The Tok'ra can remove a Goa'uld symbiote by instantly killing the symbiote before it releases the toxins. When a Tok'ra symbiote dies, it can prevent the host from dying, but that last selfless act requires a certain amount of energy and a conscious effort.
- Selmak slipped into a coma just after they activated the weapon on Dakara to defeat the Replicators.
- Tolok bestows upon Teal'c and Bra'tac the title of Bloodkin to all Jaffa, the highest honor a Jaffa can know. Both are asked to sit on the High Council of the new Jaffa nation that will be erected on the holy ground of Dakara.
- Kerry Johnson, from the CIA, is heading up the investigation into Goa'uld still at large after the incident with the Trust.
- In addition to O'Neill's omelet recipe, his barbeque technique also calls for beer.
- There are no fish in O'Neill's pond.
- Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity, please. [Daniel]
- So you're saying I can know Anubis is plotting to destroy all life in the galaxy, and all I can do about it is stay here and contemplate my own enlightenment? [Daniel]
You can eat your waffles. [Oma Desala]
- You are only as old as you believe yourself to be. [Teal'c]
Talk to me in 50 years. [Bra'tac]
Indeed I will. [Teal'c]
FOR THE RECORD
- Peter DeLuise cameo: Airman at the desk in the briefing room